WATER MAIN CLEANING NOTICE
- The Southington Water Works Department will begin hydrant flushing of water mains on Monday, September 23, 2013. This work will continue until further notice.
- Most cleaning will be done during the hours starting at 8:00 am to 5:00 pm or from 7:00 pm to 3:00 am. Information on cleaning of the water mains in your area will be carried on Channel #14 on Cox Cable, the Town of Southington Website News section of the Home Page, or you can call 628-5593 for a daily update.
- The purpose of this program is to clean water mains of any accumulated rust or sediment that may build up over time. This is done to maintain water quality throughout the distribution system.
- Please excuse any temporary discoloration or reduced pressure, which are unavoidable consequences of this work. The changes, however, will not pose any threat to public health. Every effort will be made to keep inconvenience to water users at a minimum.
- Please check your wash water before doing laundry.
NEW FIRE HYDRANT COLORS
The Southington Water Department has begun flow testing and painting all 1,389 public hydrants throughout the town of Southington. This process will take place over the next few years.
The colors on the newly painted hydrants were discussed with the Fire Department and were selected in accordance with the National Fire Protection Association’s recommendations for marking hydrants. Each color corresponds with the hydrant classification determined by flow rate in gallons per minute (gpm). The barrels of all public hydrants will be painted yellow. The caps and nozzles will be painted in accordance with the NFPA directive of light blue, green, orange, and red. The color codes provide valuable information to the Fire Department in its efforts to fight a fire.
Private fire hydrants are not the responsibility of the Southington Water Department. The Southington Fire Department has requested all private hydrant barrels be painted red with the caps painted in accordance with the NFPA color coding system. For any questions pertaining to maintenance and flow testing of private fire hydrants, please contact the Southington Water Department at 860-628-5593.
RFQ FOR NEW PRESSURE ZONE AND WELL 2 BACK UP WELL
Click Here for RFQ
Click Here for Addendum 1