History of the Town Seal
Although Southington was formally established as a town separate from Farmington in 1779, its roots go back to a much earlier time. Samuel Woodruff moved from Farmington to the area then known as "Panthorne." The settlement grew, prospered, and came to be known as "South Farmington" and then later, the shortened version, "Southington."
A meeting house, independent of the Farmington parish, was first constructed here in 1726 and was used until 1757. Its location on the site of the present Oak Hill Cemetery is commemorated by the First Meeting House stone and plaque.
Southington became a thriving community with the construction of dwellings, taverns, and stores. Industry flourished rapidly. In 1767, Atwater's grist mill was established and by 1790, Southington had a button factory, saw mills, a brass foundry, and potash works. In addition, the first machines to make carriage bolts were developed in Southington.
Southington played a part in this country's military heritage. Important town visitors during the Revolutionary War include Washington, Lafayette, and Count Rochambeau.
Southington today is a growing community, once described as "A Microcosm of America." The town is located in Hartford County, within 20 miles of Hartford and 9 miles of Waterbury, and includes the sections of Plantsville, Milldale, and Marion. The geographic area of the town is 36.8 square miles, ranking it 40th out of 169 Connecticut towns and its population is approximately 42,000. While today it is a modern residential, commercial, and industrial community, Southington is proud of its history.