Camp RISE (Summer 2023)
The Southington Recreation Department is pleased to offer a summer camp opportunity for children with special needs. The program is open to Southington resident students entering Grades 2-12 (2023-24 school year). Students up to age 21 who are participating in programs at SHS are also eligible to register.
- $120.00 per child for the full 2-week (8 day) program
- Monday-Thursday, July 17-20 and July 24-27
- 12:15 pm – 3:00 pm daily
- Derynoski Elementary School, 240 Main St., Southington
The mission of Camp RISE (Recreation Integrated into Social Experiences) is to provide an opportunity for children with physical, intellectual, developmental, and/or other health impairments to increase their social, cognitive, gross and fine motor skills in a safe, supportive environment. The goal is to promote wellness and independent living skills, as well as build self-esteem, confidence, and a connection to their community.
Campers will participate in activities that may include, but not be limited to, games, sports, arts & crafts, and nature. The program will be led by Camp Director, Desirée Daigle. A group of adult professional counselors and volunteers will assist the Director, and a nurse will be on site daily.
Registered campers who are also enrolled in a summer ESY program through Southington Public Schools will be bussed from ESY to Derynoski School each day of the Camp RISE program. Transportation will otherwise NOT be provided. All campers will need to be picked up from Derynoski School by a parent/guardian or other designated adult at the end of each camp day.
- Campers should be able to physically engage in different physical sports and activities with adult supports and/or personal adaptive equipment in a group setting.
- Campers should demonstrate behavioral regulation that is supported within a small group setting with adult support.
- Campers may demonstrate some behavioral difficulties with adjusting to activities or the sensory nature of the activities, but should not disrupt the camp setting.
- Campers should be able to demonstrate some active participation in assorted camp activities with adult support in a group setting.
- Registration will be accepted by mail or in person at the Recreation Department, 388 Pleasant Street, Southington, CT 06489 (office located inside the Calendar House Senior Center building).
- Registration forms and payments are due by 4:30 pm on Friday, July 7, 2023.
- A maximum of 25 campers will be accepted into the program and registration will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please call Dave Lapreay, Director of Recreation, at (860) 276-6289 with any questions.
View Program Registration, Cancellation & Refund Policies
Acceptable Forms of Payment
- Cash (Exact Change Required)
- Check/Money Order - Payable to "Town of Southington"
- Credit Card*
*An additional, non-refundable service fee applies to all credit card transactions.