Why Is My Usage Bill So High?
Checking your water system for leaks:
1. Locate the water meter.
2. Read the meter twice. Read it first at night, after the day's water use has ended, and again in the morning before any water is used.
3. Find the difference. Subtract the first from the second reading to tell how much (if any) water leaked out overnight.
4. If there is a difference in the reading, find the leak by checking faucets (inside & outside), pipe connections and toilets for leaks.
Checking for silent toilet leaks:
1. Drop a little food coloring into the tank. DO NOT FLUSH
2. Wait for 10 minutes. DO NOT FLUSH
3. If the food coloring appears in the toilet bowl, your toilet has a silent leak. The leak is probably located in/around the plunger ball or flapper valve at the bottom of the tank. These leaks are easy to fix with parts from your hardware or home store, or you may wish to contact your plumber.