Military Discharges

Veterans who served in the military during a time of war, and own property or cars in the Town of Southington may file their military discharges with the Town Clerk's office in order to receive tax exemptions. Original DD214 and certified copies of DD214 forms will be accepted as proof of prior service in the military. Plain photocopies will not be accepted.

There is no charge to file or to obtain a certified copy of a filed military discharge.

Click here to view the dates determined to be time of war by SEC. 27-103.

If you are not in possession of an original or certified copy of your DD214, a duplicate can be obtained by requesting and completing a Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records. This form is also available in the Town Clerk's office or by calling 1-800-827-1000. If you are the veteran OR the veteran's next of kin, you may also begin the request process on the National Archives website.

If you have already filed your DD214 with the Town Clerk's office and are in need of a certified copy, you may stop into the office or submit a request by mail using this form.

For further assistance with regard to veteran exemptions, please call the Assessor's office at 860-276-6205.