Volunteer Firefighter Opportunities
On behalf of the Southington Fire Department, welcome to our volunteer firefighter recruitment website and thank you for your interest in joining our department. The Southington Fire Department has been proudly serving the community by providing fire and medical services since 1884.
The Southington Fire Department is an innovative and diverse department that represents the community we serve, who respond to emergency calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The department is comprised of a combination of career and volunteer firefighters, operating out of four stations located throughout the town.
Your first step in joining the department is to complete an application and return it to the Fire Chief’s Office, located at 310 North Main Street, Southington. You will be notified by email to schedule an interview.
- Drop off or email a completed application to Fire Headquarters, firstname.lastname@example.org, including a copy of your current driver’s license
- You will be notified by email to schedule an interview with Fire Administration after your background check has been completed
- Attend a meeting with the officers of your assigned company
- A packet will be mailed out to you with instructions to complete a physical within two weeks after your company meeting
- When the administration receives the outcome of your physical, a letter will be sent to you telling you your membership status
- If approved you will begin your training in the next available probationary firefighter class
During your interview, you will be informed of all the benefits available to a Southington volunteer firefighter including:
- Full physical that meets OSHA Firefighter standards
- Pension Plan
- Yearly tax abatement reimbursement up to $2,000
- Fitness reimbursement up to the cost of a YMCA membership
- Town of Southington health insurance at COBRA rate
- Professional firefighter training
- Life insurance coverage 24/7
- Additional on duty life insurance
To access the volunteer firefighter application, click here.
For additional information on the Southington Fire Department click here.
To contact the department directly email us at email@example.com